The escarole in this tart almost always surprises my dinner guests, as they are not familiar with this delicious and very nutritious green. It gives the tart a depth of flavor people seldom expect from a green. The tart pairs perfectly with a light- to medium-bodied red wine, such as Puglia’s Salice Salentino.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the escarole and cook for 2 minutes, or until it wilts. Drain, add to the onion, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the half-and-half. Let the mixture cool.
4. Add the eggs and ¾ cup (177 mL) of the pecorino cheese. Add the salt and pepper. Stir to combine the ingredients. Divide the mixture equally between the two pie shells, brush the edges of the crust with extra virgin olive oil, and bake for 40 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup (59 mL) pecorino cheese on top of the pies and broil them for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tops are browned.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Copyright © 2010 Viktorija Todorovska. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without express written permission from the publisher.