This tart (see photo) is perfect to make in the spring, even early in the season, when asparagus is just about the only fresh green vegetable at the farmer’s market. It is satisfying and wows vegetarians and carnivores alike. Whether you make it for a weekend brunch or for a light dinner, the tart goes well with a simple Tomato Salad (see recipe ) and a crisp Puglian rosé.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Wash the asparagus and cut off the tough lower part of the stems. Boil the asparagus for 2 minutes, drain, and immediately rinse with cold water. Cut into bite-sized pieces and layer the pieces into the pie shell.
3. Sprinkle the tart with the pecorino cheese.
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs and season them with salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the asparagus and cheese and fold the walls of the pie shell over the egg mixture.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
Copyright © 2010 Viktorija Todorovska. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without express written permission from the publisher.